Due to the media presence and the legalization of some cannabis-based medicines, interest in CBD oil has increased rapidly in recent years. CBD oil is touted as a miracle cure and said to help alleviate symptoms associated with myriad conditions and ailments (2).
Although some studies have shown the positive effects of CBD oil on patients with epilepsy, ADHD, autism, cancer, multiple sclerosis and other chronic pain(3,4,5), many still remain suspicious of the actual effects of cannabis-based medicines concerns (2). In the following article, we will try as best we can to clear up any confusion about CBD oil and provide you with a comprehensive picture.
the essentials in brief
- Unlike THC, CBD is not a psychoactive cannabinoid and is legally available in Germany.
- CBD oil has no proven side effects other than: dry mouth, low blood pressure, drowsiness, or drowsiness, making it safe for both children and pets.
- CBD oil cannot serve as an alternative therapy for serious medical conditions and should be used as an additional aid to relieve pain.
Definition: What is CBD oil?
CBD stands for cannabidiol and is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid that, along with THC, is one of the main active compounds in the female hemp plant (4). In recent years more and more work has been done with this CBD substance and there are many products in the field of medicine as well as beauty and food.
CBD oil, in addition to CBD, contains vitamins like B1, B2, and E, proteins, and various minerals like potassium, calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, sodium, phosphorus, and zinc (6). The oil has no intoxicating effect and is successfully used not only in humans but also in pets for numerous ailments.
Background: What you should know about buying and the effects of CBD oil.
Although CBD-based products are becoming more and more popular and are now becoming mainstream, many people still feel unsure about the use and effects of CBD oil. In the following, some questions about CBD oil will be answered so that these uncertainties can be clarified.
How is CBD oil used?
CBD oil is typically administered orally. It is important to slowly get used to the body and to be careful with the dosage. Depending on the reason for taking it, the dose can be adjusted accordingly. By and large, the dosage depends on which product you choose. The concentration (7) is relevant for the different oils.
CBD oil can also be used directly on the skin. CBD skin care products seem to add another layer of protection to the skin, have been shown to help fight acne , and even have a healing effect on migraines (8).
The CBD oil can therefore either be applied directly to affected areas or taken orally.
Can CBD Oil Be Addictive?
So far, no potential for addiction has been recognized in connection with CBD oils. Since only the cannabidiol of the female hemp plant is contained in CBD oils, there are no addictive psychoactive effects that are usually caused by the THC content of the hemp plant (7).
When does the CBD oil start working and what is the dosage?
Like other active ingredients, CBD products work at different speeds in different people. Factors such as dose, body weight and area of application play the most important role in this regard. You can use our table as a guide for the CBD dosage.
Experts do not yet agree on the exact timing of the effect of CBD oil. In most cases, however, a rapid positive effect can be expected within one to two hours after ingestion (9).
What are the effects and side effects of CBD oil?
While the effects of CBD are being researched and, to a large extent, are already known, there are still some aspects of this canabinoid that need further study (7,8). The following effects of CBD oil are known.
- Relaxation of blood vessels can be caused by CBD (8,10)
- CBD has a stimulating effect on vanilloid receptors, which can contribute to an anti-pain effect (9).
- CBD has an activating effect on the 5-HT1A receptor, which has, among other things, anxiolytic effects (2,8).
- CBD has anti-inflammatory effects, which may be due to the cannabinoid binding with the GPR55 receptor (9).
- CBD has been shown to inhibit the formation of new blood vessels in cancer. (7.10)
Unlike THC, CBD does not stimulate appetite. Depending on your situation, this can be positive or negative. (Image source: Artem Labunsky / unsplash)
The THC content is known to stimulate the appetite, while CBD has been shown to have an appetite suppressing effect.
Loss of appetite can therefore be caused intentionally, or interpreted as an annoying side effect when treating a complaint with CBD oil.
It is known that the effects of some medicines can be inhibited by taking CBD. Other side effects can include dry mouth, low blood pressure, lightheadedness, and sleepiness. Apart from that, however, CBD is considered safe (9,10).
Where can you buy CBD oil?
In Germany, CBD is declared as a dietary supplement. Thus, CBD oils and other CBD preparations can be bought not only in the pharmacy, but also in the supermarket, in some drugstores or online in numerous shops. With the latter option, we recommend ordering CBD oil from Nordic Oil .
CBD is extracted from the female hemp plant and is not psychoactive compared to THC and is legally available in Germany. CBD oil is purely herbal and has a positive effect on health. (Image source: Kimzy Nanney / unsplash)
Is Buying CBD Oil Illegal?
Unlike THC, CBD does not fall under the Narcotics Act. Therefore, CBD can be legally purchased and consumed in Germany. As long as the CBD products have a THC content of less than 0.2 percent, they are therefore legal and can be freely sold (9).
Buying CBD oil: Against which ailments and for whom?
CBD oil currently has almost no proven side effects and can therefore be bought legally and used for numerous ailments. Nevertheless, the use and dosage, especially in connection with other medicines, should be discussed with a doctor beforehand (6,9).
In the following, the use of CBD oil for different groups is analyzed individually and the positive effects on diseases and complaints are shown.
CBD oil for children
So far there have been few studies that specifically deal with the effects of CBD on children, but it can be assumed that CBD oils are well tolerated and pose no danger to children. Especially if other medications are already being taken, the dosage should be discussed with a doctor beforehand (1).
Both the little ones and man’s best friend can all benefit from the miraculous effects of CBD oil (Image source: Sabina Fratila / unsplash).
CBD oil for pets
CBD oils are also suitable for animals and can help them to have a better quality of life and increased well-being .
Side effects such as loss of appetite, tiredness and falling blood pressure can occur.
Just like in humans, similar ailments in animals are also treated with CBD oil. Thus, CBD oil can be used for inflammation, epilepsy and stress reduction in animals.
What ailments can CBD oil help with?
As already mentioned, CBD oil has some healing properties and has been touted by many as a miracle cure in recent years. We will now show you what specific complaints can be treated with CBD oil.
|headache||CBD oil is said to have analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anticonvulsant properties, so it can be used to relieve headaches and migraines(2).|
|stress and sleep disorders||CBD oil has anxiolytic effects and can be used to treat stress-related disorders (2,4).|
|inflammation||The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of CBD can reduce pain and reduce swelling (9).|
|arthritis||Some studies are now suggesting that CBD’s analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties may also be effective against arthritis (12) .|
|epilepsy||Studies show that CBD oil has up to 89% positive effects on the frequency and intensity of seizures in children and adolescents with epilepsy and even reduces them by over 75% in some children (1).|
However, it is important to remember that while CBD is capable of relieving pain, it does not eliminate the root cause from which it results.
CBD oil can therefore have a positive effect on many diseases. Sleep disorders, headaches and inflammation can be treated with CBD oil, and CBD oil can also strengthen a treatment for diseases such as epilepsy or cancer. CBD oil can therefore help people as well as animals.
Despite all the promising effects of CBD, you should be aware that this is not a medical substitute product. Treating serious illnesses with CBD alone is therefore out of the question given the current state of knowledge.
- Hausman-Kedem M, Menascu S, Kramer U. Efficacy of CBD-enriched medical cannabis for treatment of refractory epilepsy in children and adolescents - An observational, longitudinal study. Brain Dev. 2018 Aug;40(7):544-551. Source
- Zuardi AW, Crippa JA, Hallak JE, Moreira FA, Guimarães FS. Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2006 Apr;39(4):421-9 Source
- Lall, S. CBD oil. Br Dent J 228, 395 (2020) Source
- Palmieri B, Laurino C, Vadalà M. Short-Term Efficacy of CBD-Enriched Hemp Oil in Girls with Dysautonomic Syndrome after Human Papillomavirus Vaccination. Isr Med Assoc J. 2017 Feb;19(2):79-84 Source
- Bonaccorso S, Ricciardi A, Zangani C, Chiappini S, Schifano F. Cannabidiol (CBD) use in psychiatric disorders: A systematic review. Neurotoxicology. 2019 Sep;74:282-298 Source
- Rupasinghe HPV, Davis A, Kumar SK, Murray B, Zheljazkov VD. Industrial Hemp (Cannabis sativa subsp. sativa) as an Emerging Source for Value-Added Functional Food Ingredients and Nutraceuticals. Molecules. 2020 Sep 7;25(18):4078. Source
- VanDolah HJ, Bauer BA, Mauck KF. Clinicians' Guide to Cannabidiol and Hemp Oils. Mayo Clin Proc. 2019 Sep;94(9):1840-1851. doi: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2019.01.003. Epub 2019 Aug 22. Source
- Oláh A, Tóth BI, Borbíró I, et al. Cannabidiol exerts sebostatic and antiinflammatory effects on human sebocytes. J Clin Invest. 2014;124(9) Source
- Dtsch Ärzteebl Int 2012; 109(29-30): 495-501 Source
- A single dose of cannabidiol reduces blood pressure in healthy volunteers in a randomized crossover study, Khalid A Jadoon, Garry D Tan, Saoirse E O'Sullivan, Journal of Clinical Investigation, 15 June 2017 Source
- Blessing EM, Steenkamp MM, Manzanares J, Marmar CR. Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders. Neurotherapeutics. 2015 Oct;12(4):825-36 Source
- Schuelert N, McDougall JJ. The abnormal cannabidiol analogue O-1602 reduces nociception in a rat model of acute arthritis via the putative cannabinoid receptor GPR55. Neurosci Lett. 2011 Aug 1;500(1):72-6 Source