Pimples on the face are not always due to the hormone balance. It is often everyday things that cause annoying skin infections on the face.
Regardless of whether you are a teenager or an adult, the development of pimples on your face is always the same. Fortunately, there are already many remedies that combat or prevent these blemishes, blackheads, pustules or even acne.
the essentials in brief
- Pimples on the face can affect any age group, but they are not a cause for concern.
- The area on your face where a pimple develops may show what's going on in your body.
- There are many natural and medicinal products available to treat facial blemishes.
Background: What you should know about pimples on your face
Pimples or acne that are on the face are often difficult or almost impossible to hide. In addition, the area on the face is an uncomfortable place where blemishes appear. Because they not only affect your physical appearance, but can also change your mood.
In most cases, however, this is only an aesthetic problem. Of course it's annoying when these skin imperfections appear in the middle of the face. Cover sticks or pimple sticks offer you a way to make the annoying pimples less noticeable.
Where do the pimples on the face come from?
The skin blemishes on the face can be traced back to many different possible reasons. Basically, the development of a pimple is always hormonal. Too much sebum collects in the sebaceous glands and hair follicles, causing them to become clogged. For this reason, the excess sebum cannot reach the surface of the skin and penetrate to the outside.
If bacteria manage to get to hair follicles or sebaceous glands, inflammation occurs. This skin inflammation is shown to us by a pimple.
We have listed in this table which situations or factors may play a role in the development of a pimple on the face.
|Nourishment||What you eat can play a role in the development of blemishes. For example, a treated deficiency of vitamin D in inflamed areas can lead to improvements in acne. (1) Therefore, you should pay attention to a balanced diet and leave unhealthy foods aside.|
|hormone balance||In women, hormone levels change before the period begins. Stopping the pill, giving birth or menopause also bring hormonal changes. The imbalance stimulates the sebaceous glands, causing pimples and blemishes.|
|psyche||In stressful situations, the body releases more hormones such as cortisol, which stimulates sebum production. In addition, it is often the case that we often reach into the facial area and thus bring bacteria to the face and distribute them.|
|skin care||That might sound a bit strange. But excessive and incorrect care of the skin can also lead to pimples on the face. Constantly changing products or an intolerance to ingredients can have an effect on your skin.|
|everyday situations||A dirty pillow or a smartphone full of bacteria can irritate your skin. Hair care products can also cause pimples and breakouts on the hairline and forehead.|
What can you do about pimples on your face?
To prevent pimples from appearing on your face in the first place, we recommend daily facial hygiene. Various washing gels or peelings, which clean the pores and additionally protect the skin, are suitable for this.
Always use a fresh towel after washing your face.
It is best to keep your hands off the affected areas. There may be debris under your fingernails that could make the infection worse. Therefore: If there are impurities where no pus can be seen, hands off!
Avoid using irritating scrubs or skin care products if possible. Since such are used in most cases as a precaution, and you could use them to spread the existing bacteria on your face. This can cause further inflammation in the face. We can also recommend that you pay attention to the following points.
- Cooling: Cold is anti-inflammatory and can reduce pain associated with your pimple.
- Sport: Movement stimulates your blood circulation, redness and pimples heal faster and your immune system is strengthened.
- Salt: In the bath, salt cleanses your skin of toxins. As a poultice, you can use Himalayan salt or Dead Sea salt to apply to the skin. The treatment has an antibacterial effect and reduces inflammation.
- Sleep and nutrition: Sufficient sleep and a balanced diet are usually the basis for a healthy body. Therefore, you should stay hydrated and watch your lifestyle, as this can play an important role in the development of acne in adulthood.
If blemishes on your face don't go away with the right cleansing and care, a doctor can prescribe medication for therapy. He determines in advance whether it is a pimple, blackhead or acne. Dermatologists can usually determine this from the appearance.
What do the different places where I get pimples on my face tell me?
There can be many different reasons why a pimple or blackhead appears in a specific area on the face.
Since our skin is often a mirror of our inner health, according to Chinese traditional medicine and Ayurveda healing arts, the face can be divided into different zones. This skin analysis is called face mapping and tries to provide information on which body regions or living conditions the individual skin blemishes on the face can be traced back to.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, the face is the mirror of health. Therefore, all the inconsistencies of the organs show up here. We have created a table for you here that shows you which part of the face is due to what.
|facial area||Connection according to traditional Chinese medicine|
|pimples on the forehead||In this area, pimples are associated with the digestive system, liver, and bladder. The reason can be an unhealthy diet or stress.|
|Pimples between the eyebrows||Skin disorders here most likely originate from the liver. It may be that she is overwhelmed by alcohol or greasy food. Simply do without alcoholic beverages and choose the low-fat option from the menu.|
|Pimples on the ears and under the eyes||Here a connection with the kidneys is suggested. These can be burdened by too much caffeine, alcohol or too greasy food. It can help to avoid the problem triggers and drink more water.|
|pimples on the nose||According to traditional Chinese medicine, a pimple in the center of the face can indicate problems with the pancreas, lungs or blood circulation. To counteract this, a diet rich in vitamins, sufficient exercise and avoiding salty or spicy foods can help.|
|pimples on the cheeks||According to this type of skin analysis, there is a connection to the lungs, i.e. our respiratory organs. Smoking, bad air and allergies can affect these organs. So just give up cigarettes and try to avoid bad air.|
|pimples on the mouth||According to traditional Chinese medicine, blemishes in this area are due to poor nutrition. There is therefore a connection with the digestive organs and the stomach. You can try to change your diet and avoid fatty and spicy dishes.|
|Pimples on the chin||This area around the mouth is also associated with the stomach and intestines. In addition, hormone fluctuations in this zone can be decisive. Drink plenty of water to flush toxins out of your body and avoid fast and processed foods.|
The causes of pimples on the face are often not related to any part of the body, as is assumed in such skin analyses. Triggers can also be residues of make-up or dirty hands with which you grab your face.
In many cases, your mobile phone can accumulate bacteria. These can get on your face when you are on the phone. Therefore, you should clean your smartphone regularly.
You should definitely avoid popping pimples on your face, otherwise the area can become inflamed and scars can form. One study found that most scars in men are left on the cheekbones. Early treatment helps to reduce scarring. (2)
What tools can I use to treat pimples on my face?
There are a few ways to treat your facial pimples.
Pimples on the face can be very annoying. There are many different ways to treat skin imperfections. (Image Source: Sharon McCutcheon / Pixabay)
There are enough everyday household items or skin care products from specialist shops. However, pay attention to ingredients and intolerances.
What do pimples on the face mean in infants or children?
A distinction must be made here as to whether the skin blemishes appear after birth or some time later.
- Newborn Acne: After birth, a baby's skin and the rest of the body needs time to adjust to the outside environment. The hormones affect the sebaceous glands. These work too hard and can cause small pimples to form. These should normally disappear after about 3 months. You should always discuss treatment with a pediatrician first.
- Infant acne: In most cases, these are purulent skin blemishes on the face. The reason for the pimples can be a hormonal change in the body or a genetic predisposition. In general, these pimples appear around the age of 3 months. A pediatrician should definitely look at the pimples.
Sometimes they are just so-called milia. These small white lumps, which usually appear on the forehead or chin area, look like grains of semolina. The dots are small cysts on the sebaceous glands. These usually go away on their own. The sebum glands become clogged due to the hormones.
What do pimples on the face after puberty mean?
Even after puberty is over, blemishes can appear on the face. This is quite normal, many adults struggle with bad skin. We have listed possible causes for this here.
- Wrong skin care
- hormonal changes
- Wrong diet
- Unhealthy Lifestyle
- taking medication
- genetic predisposition
But there are also triggers that cause impure skin due to the disease. Therefore, you should have your skin examined by a dermatologist before therapy. This eliminates insecurities and you know exactly what the trigger for the pimple on your face is.
Treating pimples on the face: The best tips & tricks for the right skin care for blemishes on the face
There are a few ways to treat your facial pimples. There are enough everyday household items or skin care products from specialist shops. Depending on the skin type, skin care should be tailored to your needs.
If you have stubborn skin blemishes on your face, you should consult a dermatologist in advance. He determines where the pimples come from and which means are suitable for them.
Don't let pimples develop on your face in the first place
In many cases, blemishes on the face are caused by various everyday situations. Of course there are hormone-related processes that can lead to pimples that you can hardly influence. But you have the possibility to prevent pimples on your face.
- Cleansing: It is important to cleanse the skin of bacteria as part of a daily routine and to moisturize when necessary. With the right products, you should be able to prevent blemishes on your face.
- Well-being: Do you have a lot of stress in your life right now? Then you should find balance and more relaxation. A study has shown that stress can cause deterioration of the complexion in patients with acne. (3)
- Diet: An improper diet can play a role in the development of pimples on the face. A study in China has shown that daily consumption of sugary soft drinks, for example, increases the risk of moderate to severe acne in adolescents. (4) Another study shows an improvement in acne when the diet eliminates carbohydrate-containing foods that affect blood sugar levels. (5)
It is best to pay attention to sufficient care and a balanced lifestyle. It is often possible, with caution in everyday situations, to prevent facial pimples from developing.
Treat pimples on face
Fortunately, there are many different products and ways to treat facial blemishes. There is something for every skin type and for almost all skin problems.
There are not only remedies that are applied to the skin, but can also help from the inside. According to one study, a combination of agents to be applied and those to be taken orally also works (6). Omega-3 fatty acids could also be used to help treat acne patients (7).
Below we have listed various ways to prevent or treat pimples on your face.
face lotion and tonic
This type of skin cleanser is particularly good for post-cleansing, strengthening and refreshing the skin. The distilled water it contains dissolves sweat and dirt. There are also products that contain alcohol and thus increase the cleaning effect.
scrubs and masks
A peeling smoothes the top layer of skin and removes dead skin cells. In most cases, peelings contain salt, sand or similar granular components. They stimulate blood circulation and promote skin regeneration.
Face masks have a deep cleansing effect and can be easily applied to the face. (Image Source: Isabell Winter/Unsplash)
Research also showed a higher and earlier therapeutic effect of chemical combination peels as opposed to single peels (8). You can also make peelings yourself at home.
Masks provide the skin with vitamins and minerals.
Face masks do not replace everyday hygiene, but serve as a supplementary care product. You can get them, for example, as a gel, cream, paste or foam. You can apply it to your face after cleansing. After peeling, masks can have a soothing effect on the face.
The ingredients penetrate deep into the skin through the application and unfold their effect. Choose the appropriate mask according to your skin type, otherwise skin problems could increase.
lotions and creams
In contrast to facial oils or body butters, face lotions consist largely of water. Therefore, they are perfect for facial care in summer. They are absorbed particularly quickly and leave no visible residue.
A cream is the classic form of application for facial care. Depending on the area of application, it has a regulating, refreshing and moisturizing effect. There are also unscented versions for sensitive skin.
Treat pimples on face with home remedies
Natural remedies for pimples on the face are often also suitable. These are usually well tolerated and free of chemicals. The consequences of acne or polluted skin can also be treated with natural helpers.
tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has a calming effect and helps against swelling and reddening of the skin. One study showed the effectiveness of tea tree oil for mild to moderate acne (9). Simply apply to the affected areas and let it work. It is possible that your skin is sensitive to the oil. It is best to test your tolerance on a hard-wearing part of your body.
The aloe ver plant has an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effect, and it also moisturizes the skin. You can buy your own plant or various care products that contain aloe vera.
To apply, rub the affected area with the gel and wash off with lukewarm water after about 30 minutes. Aloe vera also has a significant effect when combined with tretinoin creams (10). This active ingredient is often prescribed to treat acne.
This natural raw material can not only be ingested, but also applied to the skin. External use has an antibacterial effect. Dirt and sebum on the skin on the face are absorbed and bound. The brown powder also has a cooling effect and stimulates blood circulation.
Natural facial toner with apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is naturally acidic and is used in many areas of natural skin care. Apple cider vinegar can also work wonders against impure skin on the face. A peeling with the vinegar has a disinfecting and antibacterial effect on impure skin. The best way to do this is as follows.
- Open pores: You can easily open your pores with steam. Simply boil water and hold your head over it for about 2 minutes. Otherwise, a warm towel that you put on your face also works.
- Mix scrub: Mix apple cider vinegar with warm water. It is best to use organic apple cider vinegar for this, which usually contains more vitamins and trace elements. Then dip a towel or tea towel into the scrub.
- Let it soak in: Then place the cloth on your face and leave it on for about 5 minutes. Then wash it all off with warm water.
Steam bath with chamomile
A chamomile steam bath is particularly effective for clogged pores. The chamomile blossoms or chamomile blossom essence in the hot water gently opens your pores and allows blockages to drain away. The essential oils have an anti-inflammatory effect and the steam moisturizes your skin.
Find out in advance about possible allergies. Since the plant can cause allergic reactions.
Lemons have an antibacterial effect and can be used in many ways. You can incorporate the lemon juice into a face mask, or apply it directly to the skin with a cotton swab. Use fresh lemon juice for this, one from the bottle may contain preservatives.
No matter how old you are, pimples on your face can affect anyone. As a rule, it is also only an inflammation that disappears on its own. There are many ways to treat facial blemishes. However, you cannot simply magic them away.
However, an assessment and clarification with a dermatologist can be beneficial in most cases. He can tell you what is good for your skin and rule out a possible skin disease.
- Lim SK, Ha JM, Lee YH, Lee Y, Seo YJ, Kim CD, Lee JH, & Im M (2016). Comparison of Vitamin D Levels in Patients with and without Acne: A Case-Control Study Combined with a Randomized Controlled Trial. PloS one, 11(8), e0161162. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0161162
- Lauermann, FT, Almeida, HL, Jr, Duquia, RP, Souza, PR, & Breunig, J. (2016). Acne scars in 18-year-old male adolescents: a population-based study of prevalence and associated factors. Anais brasileiros de dermatologia, 91(3), 291-295. https://doi.org/10.1590/abd1806-4841.20164405
- Chiu, A., Chon, SY, & Kimball, AB (2003). The response of skin disease to stress: changes in the severity of acne vulgaris as affected by examination stress. Archives of dermatology, 139(7), 897-900. https://doi.org/10.1001/archderm.139.7.897
- Huang X, Zhang J, Li J, Zhao S, Xiao Y, Huang Y, Jing D, Chen L, Zhang X, Su J, Kuang Y, Zhu W, Chen M, Chen X, & Shen M (2019). Daily Intake of Soft Drinks and Moderate-to-Severe Acne Vulgaris in Chinese Adolescents. The Journal of pediatrics, 204, 256-262.e3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2018.08.034
- Kwon, HH, Yoon, JY, Hong, JS, Jung, JY, Park, MS, & Suh, DH (2012). Clinical and histological effect of a low glycaemic load diet in treatment of acne vulgaris in Korean patients: a randomized, controlled trial. Acta dermato-venereologica, 92(3), 241-246. https://doi.org/10.2340/00015555-1346
- Tolino E, Skroza N, Mambrin A, Bernardini N, Zuber S, Balduzzi V, Marchesiello A, Proietti I, & Potenza C (2018). Novel combination for the treatment of acne differentiated based on gender: a new step towards personalized treatment. Giornale italiano di dermatologia e venereologia : organo ufficiale, Societa italiana di dermatologia e sifilografia, 153(6), 866-871. https://doi.org/10.23736/S0392-0488.18.05710-3
- Jung JY, Kwon HH, Hong JS, Yoon JY, Park MS, Jang MY, & Suh DH (2014). Effect of dietary supplementation with omega-3 fatty acid and gamma-linolenic acid on acne vulgaris: a randomised, double-blind, controlled trial. Acta dermato-venereologica, 94(5), 521-525. https://doi.org/10.2340/00015555-1802
- Nofal E, Nofal A, Gharib K, Nasr M, Abdelshafy A, & Elsaid E (2018). Combination chemical peels are more effective than single chemical peel in treatment of mild-to-moderate acne vulgaris: A split face comparative clinical trial. Journal of cosmetic dermatology, 17(5), 802-810. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocd.12763
- Enshaieh S, Jooya A, Siadat AH, & Iraji F (2007). The efficacy of 5% topical tea tree oil gel in mild to moderate acne vulgaris: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Indian journal of dermatology, venereology and leprology, 73(1), 22-25. https://doi.org/10.4103/0378-6323.30646
- Hajheydari Z, Saeedi M, Morteza-Semnani K, & Soltani A (2014). Effect of Aloe vera topical gel combined with tretinoin in treatment of mild and moderate acne vulgaris: a randomized, double-blind, prospective trial. The Journal of dermatological treatment, 25(2), 123-129. https://doi.org/10.3109/09546634.2013.768328